January 1999 I began my quest to personally greet one million people. Holding a silver tally counter, I walked the streets of New York interacting with passersby. This piece has no physical recorded documentation, except for the clicker itself. Due to the media’s interest in ‘hello’, I have used an adapted version of their footage, as an extension of my project. January 2000, I appeared on Good Morning America. Unbeknown to the television host and crew I recorded the experience with a spy camera disguised in a lapel flower. hello Good Morning America weaves together behind the scenes video with broadcast footage to provide an inside look at how television and the mediation of human experience is produced.
- New York Times: New York Up Close, City Section – hello project, Tom Roe, January 2, 2000
- Good Morning America: ABC TV, January 4, 2000 “Say hello Woman”, Interview by Charles Gibson and Elizabeth Vargas
- The Nature of Mathematics, 12th edition: hello project, Section 1.3, Scientific Notation and Estimation, 2007+ by Karl J. Smith
- SF Gate: Jan. 2000 – Weekly online art column, hello GMA appearance, SF Chronicle, Beth Lisick
- SAT 1 TV: TimeZone Television, 5 minute artist documentary. German National Television
- WNYC radio: hello interview for The Next Big Thing – Arts and culture radio magazine. NPR. November 2000
- hello project, Radio Appearances; KRDO Colorado Springs, 99.3 Springfield MA, KFGO Fargo ND, New Zealand.
hello Good Morning America looping exhibition, single screening and live invited appearances. 2000/01
- Downtown Arts Festival: hello and I am Videotaping You Right Now. Live Performance, web and video objects.
- hello Stage appearance at Club Largo, Los Angeles
- Rencontres Internationales Festival, Paris/Berlin
- Aurora Picture Show, Austin, TX
- Ocularis, Brooklyn
- AIR RAIDS/ L.A. Freewaves Festival
- UCLA Hammer Museum
- California Museum of Photography
- CSUN California State University Northridge Art Galleries
- Side Street Live, LA, CA
- Freud Museum, St. Petersburg, Russia.
hello Good Morning America is shown with the short Re-enactment of hello video